There are so many areas of life to find our value in:
family (as a spouse, parent, sibling, good child)
recognition for a talent, skill, personal characteristic
checking off everything on your to-do list
religious activities/ actions
your FB likes
followers on Twitter and Instagram
knowing someone famous or important
Over the years I have found my value in, and worth in, several different ways. Each of these was stripped from me however. If you have never had your value and identity stripped of you– let me tell you: it can be very painful. I was left with the question many of us face “Who am I if not… .”
Where we find our worth is where we will spend the most time and best effort we have available.
If we only have one source to derive our worth from we can get knocked for a loop if there is a drastic change; say your wife leaves you taking the kids, or your job is put on hold. We can find ourselves in confusion, depression, or even despair.
There is one source to get our value from that will never change: That is through viewing ourselves the way God views us.
God’s love for us never changes. The Bible says we are the righteousness of God in Christ ( 2 Corinthians 5:21). We have been adopted by God in spite of all our faults and setbacks. We are joint heirs with Jesus worthy through him of all the blessings that the original son has.
Get that? The ALMIGHTY- the creator of the universe– says we are worthy to be his child and have a direct intimate relationship one on one with him. What/who is more important than the one who created all the galaxies? Nothing looks better on your resume than that !
Our life is temporary. But we are eternal beings and God loves you so much, you are so valuable, that he provided a way to never be separated from you eternally. Nothing else will last after we die. But we can live with God rather than eternal loneliness.
Perhaps one of the reasons we turn to temporary sources of worth is because worth is easier to measure through tangible feedback: Grades show up every term, jobs give out promotions, our families thrive and show happiness.
But how do we get feedback from God about our worth?
Its written in the text for us.
We have to open the Word to be reminded.
We have to listen to sermons, sing the songs, do the Bible Studies, get quiet and listen to that still small voice inside.
We have to take responsibility to actively seek the statements God has given us about our worth.
These verses and statements include~
* God created us in his own image. Genesis 1:27
* A woman may forget her own child, yet God will never forget us. Isaiah 49:15
* God wants to give us a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11
* He loves us with an eternal, everlasting, love and pulls us in with his loving kindness. Jeremiah 31:3
* While we were still sinners, knowing all the sins we would ever commit, God sent his only son to die for us so that we could be fully restored in right relationship with God. Romans 5:8
* We are called God’s very own children. 1 John 3:1; John 1:12
* We can approach God boldly and obtain mercy and grace for our times of need. Hebrews 4:16
* God put us together perfectly in our mother’s womb, making us wonderfully –each according to His plans and purposes for our individual lives. Psalm 139: 13-16
* God provides abundantly for birds and nature– How much more will he provide and take care of His very own children. Matthew 6:25-34
* God made you alive in Christ
He saved you by grace
He raises you up to the heavenly places to be seated with Christ
He wants to show you the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness..
All because of our faith in Jesus Christ. Ephesians 2:4-9
*He has poured out the Holy Spirit on you. Titus 3:4-7
* People look at the outside parts of you (your looks and situations and circumstances) but God is only concerned with your heart. 1 Samuel 16:7
*God rejoices over you with gladness. Zephaniah 3:17
* Once we accept Christ, God forgets our sins and old ways. He sees us as brand new.
2 Corinthians 5:17
* He sees you as blameless and not deserving condemnation. Romans 8:1-2
* He calls you a chosen race, a royal priesthood. You are God’s royalty. You are Holy. You belong to God. 1 Peter 2:9
*God takes pleasure in those who have reverence and awe towards Him. Psalm 147:11
* He will never leave you nor forsake you. Hebrews 13:5
* He will lift you high when you are humble. James 4:10
and finally–He knows you so well, He knows the number of hairs on your head.
Luke 12:7 (Does anyone else know you that well or care THAT much?)
I purposely chose not to directly quote the scripture because my hope is that you will check me and look them up for yourself. Something amazing happens when we open the Word of God for ourselves. I think it soaks in more and we take it more seriously.
If you rushed through this list… HEY! Maybe you feel good about yourself and do not get doubts right now. But there will come a day, when everyone needs something more to hold onto than things that can be taken away from us in an instant. We need something to hold on to, and we need to know we matter in this world. Why else trudge through life?
We are not meant to trudge through life. Jesus came that we might have life and joy. We are worth it! And nothing and no one can take these things from us.
Until next time,